Lately we've been experimenting with embroidering onto different materials. Just roughly, usually just fun quick little doodles. We want to test how how unusual a medium we can use before it all starts to disintegrate.
So far we've tried facial tissue. Didn't work so that's why there are no photos, but we will try again. More successful have been our attempts on leaves and paint skins.
We love plants. If you follow our instagram there's a fair few images there to prove it. One day I hope to have an indoor jungle full of lush vines cascading from hanging planters and giant foliage plants. But back to the embroidery. Calathea plants have a wonderful variety of patterning which I thought would match up well with some added embroidered patterns. The leaves are quite fragile but it's definitely something we can keep trying at.
Paint skins, i'm not sure what the technical term is but I like to call them paint skins. My almost 3 year old loves painting and after each session I keep the left over paint and have a bit of play myself. I discovered that after being left to dry the paint blobs on the plastic takeaway lids we use as paint palettes, can be lifted off gently mostly intact. And voila instant fabric of a sort.
They're quite tricky to sew onto, so only basic stitches are possible but it's exciting to see what we can do with this new technique. It also got us back into painting for fun and coming up with patterns with blobs like we used to do in primary school. Which has lead to more experiments with paint on paper + embroidery.
I've got to thank my little girl for making sure we still play around with materials just for the hell of it. We get so stuck in doing what we know already it's nice to remind ourselves that experimentation is the best way to inspire and develop new work.